Salads stretch beyond summer with this warm beet salad. Add this to any dinner, any time of year. This salad is rich in betaine, fiber, folate, manganese, and a unique blend of antioxidants, it’s hard to beat a beet for nutritional value. Oh, and by the way, eat the greens for MAXIMUM benefit.
- Beets (2-3), with beet greens. I always prepare more greens because they cook down so much. Get extra Red Chard, it is great!
- Garlic (2-3 cloves chopped)
- Red Pepper Flakes, to taste
- 1/2 orange plus some additional juice from the orange
- Zest from the orange
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt and pepper
- Wash and chop the beet greens and Red Chard. Peel and cut the beets into matchstick size pieces.
- Add 2 Tbl Olive Oil and saute the greens until still a little firm. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes at the end and cook for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Remove the greens from the pan, and in the same pan, saute the beets until tender.
- Remove the beets from the pan into a bowl, trying not to get too much liquid into the bowl. I like to save the liquid and save it to drink or use in other cooking.
- Squeeze half the orange over the top and add the orange zest.
- Serve the greens on a plate and top with the sauteed beets.
- Drizzle with Olive Oil. Season with Sea Salt and Pepper…..and more of the fresh Orange Juice.