1-1.5 lbs. asparagus
1 medium sized head of cauliflower
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
½ large yellow onion, chopped
8 ounces baby Bella mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, crushed
5 cups vegetable broth
Juice of 1 lemon, about 3 Tbsp
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 cup fresh loose basil leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Prepare the cauliflower and asparagus: Chop bottoms off the asparagus stalks and discard, slice the remaining stalks into 2-inch-long spears. Chop the cauliflower into florets. Spread cauliflower and asparagus onto a large baking sheet and drizzle with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Salt and pepper. Place in oven and roast for approximately 25 minutes, turning gently halfway through.
3. Meanwhile, in large soup pot on medium heat, add 2 Tbsp olive oil, chopped onion, sliced mushrooms, and garlic. Sauté vegetables for 8-10 minutes, or until fragrant.
4. Add asparagus and cauliflower to soup pot. Cover with broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Add lemon juice, zest, and basil leaves. Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. Alternatively, cool down the soup a bit, and pour into a large blender or food processor to puree.
6. Serve immediately and garnish with any of the following optional toppings: Parmesan cheese, lemon pepper, pesto, or pancetta. Enjoy!
Inspired by: Wholesomelicious