Ingredients for the Topping
½ cup finely ground almond flour
1/3 cup maple sugar or coconut sugar
½ teaspoon Celtic Sea salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
5 Tbsp chilled ghee or coconut oil, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/3 cup whole raw pecans
1/3 cup whole raw almonds
½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
Ingredients for the Berry Filling
6 cups mixed cut-up berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.)
2 Tbsp maple sugar or coconut sugar
2 teaspoons tapioca starch
2 teaspoons lime zest
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
Instructions for the Topping
1. Put the almond flour, maple or coconut sugar, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom in a food processor work bowl fitted with a steel blade.
2. Add the chilled ghee or coconut oil. Pulse the mixture 5-7 times until the mixture has a coarse cornmeal texture.
3. Toss in the nuts and coconut flakes. Pulse until the mixture looks like nubbly wet sand with some nutty bits – don’t overdo it because you don’t want a dough to form.
4. Transfer the topping to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
Instructions for the Berry Filling
1. While the topping mixture is chilling, heat the oven to 375° F with the rack in the middle position.
2. Toss together the berries, maple or coconut sugar, and tapioca starch in a medium bowl.
3. Add the lime zest and juice and mix gently with a spatula, turning over to combine.
4. Transfer the berries to a 2-quart baking pan (8-inch square or 9-inch round) and spread them into an even layer.
5. Evenly distribute the chilled topping over the berries.
6. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the berries are bubbly and the top turns golden brown.
7. Cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with whipped coconut cream if desired. Enjoy!
Inspired by Nom Nom Paleo