Ingredients for the Chile Rellenos
4 large poblano peppers
2 heads cauliflower (or 5 cups riced cauliflower)
3 Tbsp avocado oil or olive oil (divided)
1 ½ lbs. ground beef
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon sea salt (divided)
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 large eggs
Guacamole, salsa, avocado, cilantro (optional for serving)
Ingredients for the “Cheese Sauce”
1 cup raw cashews + hot water
1 cup chicken broth
¼ cup nutritional yeast
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1. Before beginning, add raw cashews to hot water and allow to soak for at least 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400° F. Rice the cauliflower by cutting into florets and pulse using a food processor. Slice the poblano peppers into thirds or quarters lengthwise. Alternatively, chop the poblano peppers into bite-sized pieces. Place the peppers on one half of a large baking sheet, and the cauliflower rice on the other half. Brush with avocado oil or olive oil. Transfer to the oven and roast for 20-25 minutes. Once complete, reduce heat on the oven to 375° F.
3. Meanwhile, make the beef. Heat a skillet to medium-high heat. Once hot, add oil and the onion. Sauté the diced onion for a few minutes, then add the beef. Cook until no longer pink, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Toss in the spices: cumin, paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and ½ teaspoon sea salt. Continue to coat the beef with spices and then add in the tomato paste and apple cider vinegar. Reduce to a simmer and let simmer for 3-5 minutes until well combined. Set aside.
4. Now make the dairy-free cheese sauce. First, drain the cashews. In a high-powered blender or food processor, blend cashews with chicken broth, nutritional yeast, lime juice, and the remaining sea salt.
5. Assemble the casserole by stirring together the cauliflower rice, poblano peppers, beef, and cashew sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together the 2 eggs and stir into the casserole. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes at 375° F.
6. Remove from the oven. Let sit for a few minutes, then slice into pieces. Serve with toppings of choice (guacamole, salsa, avocado, cilantro).
Inspired by Wholesomelicious