3 ½ cups cooked shredded chicken
2 Tbsp avocado oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium bell peppers, diced
Sea salt and black pepper
2 Tbsp tapioca flour or arrowroot
3 cups chicken broth or bone broth
1 ¼ cups red enchilada sauce
1 14-ounce can dice tomatoes, fire-roasted
1 4-ounce can chopped green chilis
¾ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ cup coconut cream
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons lime juice or lemon juice
Sea salt to taste
Avocado, sliced for garnish
Cilantro, chopped for garnish
Paleo tortilla chips
1. Heat the avocado oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes or until translucent and fragrant. Add the garlic and peppers, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, and sauté for an additional 3-5 minutes until soft.
3. Sprinkle the onion mixture with the tapioca or arrowroot and stir to coat. Slowly pour in the chicken broth, stirring well to completely combine.
4. Stir in the enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes, green chilis, and cumin, and stir until combined. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. The soup will thicken as it cooks.
5. Add the cooked chicken, reduce heat to medium-low and let the soup simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. While the soup simmers, whisk together the coconut cream, nutritional yeast, and lime juice. Stir the mixture into the simmering soup to combine well. Taste the soup and season with salt as desired and allow to simmer 5 more minutes or longer, if desired.
7. Serve hot, garnish with avocado, cilantro, and paleo tortilla chips if desired.
Inspired by Paleo Running Momma