1 whole chicken, patted dry (Preferably free range from a great source. If you are close stop by here and get a Chicken from Green Pastures Farm. The BEST!)
3 T. bacon fat
3 T. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
2 onions, peeled and quartered
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 bell peppers, chopped
2 lemons, halved
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Place the chicken, breast-side down, on a cutting board. Cut along both sides of the backbone from end to end with kitchen shears and remove the backbone. Flip the chicken breast-side up, and open it like a book. Press firmly on the breasts with your palm to flatten. Save the backbone for making homemade stock.
3. In a small bowl, combine the bacon fat and rosemary.
4. Rub the chicken with some of the rosemary mixture then season the chicken with sea salt and pepper to taste.
5. Place the chicken on a baking sheet and surround it with the vegetables and the lemons.
6. Pour the bacon fat and rosemary mixture over the vegetables and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
7. Place the baking sheet in the oven and cook for 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reads 165°F when inserted in the thickest part of the breast.
8. Remove chicken from oven, squeeze some lemon juice over, and serve.