This is a fantastic mayo made with avocado oil. This mayo has a wonderful “tang” with the lemon juice and the mustard powder. This can be made in a food processor or in a mason jar as well. If you use a mason jar you will need an immersion blender. This mayo can be the base for many other things like tartare sauce, flavored mayo’s, and aioli’s.
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice. Fresh is best. For more lemon flavor add some of the zest. You can also use Apple Cider Vinegar!
- 1 large egg – it is very important to get the best free range egg possible
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup avocado oil – You can also mix it with other oils like MCT oil
- Have a tall, wide mouth mason jar ready. Add the lemon juice first, then the egg, seasonings, and finally the oil. Let the ingredients rest there for 30 seconds or so.
- Put the immersion blender ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM of the mason jar. Turn it on high speed and leave it at the bottom of the jar for about 20 seconds or so. The mayonnaise will immediately begin to set up and start to fill the jar.
- After the mayonnaise is almost all the way set (not to thick), slowly pull the immersion blender towards the top of the jar without taking the blades out of the mayonnaise. Then, slowly push it back towards the bottom of the jar. Repeat this several times until the ingredients are well incorporated, smooth, and consistent.
- Taste and add more salt, if you think it needs it. I always add more salt!
*If you would like to make Aioli just add a couple cloves of garlic to the mixture before you blend. Viola, Aioli!